This is a project I tried to do earlier this year and utterly failed due to a crazy number of makeup releases, but now that I’m broke after spending so much on new makeup, I decided to make use of everything I’ve bought for myself. I have a separate kit for my clients, and sometimes I would use a couple of things from my kit on them too, but mostly my kit contains new makeup that needs testing before adding them to my clients’ kit.
Project pan is not for everyone. I’ve met so many people who say “But I’m so stingy to use them!” I partnered up with another blogger on Instagram because I need some motivation too. You can follow the hashtag #projectpancommunity to get some inspiration if you need so.
How to start?
If you’ve been hoarding makeup, all you have to do is note down the rough date/month (i don’t remember the dates so I’ve noted down the months) you opened them. Look at the shelf life mentioned on the product’s packaging and add it up to the time you opened. See which one expires first and make a priority list.
Here’s an example of what I did:
(I have a bit of OCD so I did this on an Excel chart, but this way is easier than writing down on a notebook)
How to pick?
Pick up the products that are closest to expiry date. Check if they’re still in good condition. I rounded up the products I’m planning to pan this year:
- Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation
- Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher
- NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer (will be using this alternatively with The Retoucher)
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural
- MAC x Patrick Starr Goalgetter eyeshadow palette (this is not the closest to expiry, but it doesn’t always have to be that way. You can pick any product you love to add to #projectpan)
- MAC Shiny Pretty Things Face Compact (again, this is a recent purchase but I just love how the colours work on my skin. This is limited edition, but MAC will always release face palettes for holidays and hopefully I’ll finish this by next season!)
I’ll be documenting the progress here and on my Instagram (@nmstylefolder) let me know if you’re interested in this project too!