A few weeks back I got the NARS x Steven Klein mini lipstick coffret named “Killer Heels”. This was part of the limited edition holiday collection from 2015, and was on sale so I decided to check whether it’s old or gold for my viewers. (I also reviewed NARS Virtual Domination Cheek Palette from 2014 holiday collection)
This mini collection retailed at: US$ 49.00 but I got it for 5 dollars less (not a big saving but I love collecting limited edition stuff)
Inside you get 5 bite size lipsticks 🙂
They’re beautiful, but so much smaller than I expected and my first impression was like “woah, that’s so less for 45 bucks!” But NARS is anyway an expensive brand so let’s see if it’s worth it
- Little Darling: A light beige with warm undertone but this is almost like a wash of lip balm on me. It’s great for days where you don’t want to wear any colour, but want something other than a balm.
- Mayflower: A soft warm rose with very faint shimmer that was hardly visible once applied. It’s a gorgeous colour that looks very MLBB
- Joyous Red: A warm creamy reddish copper in satin finish. It has good pigmentation and lasted about 3-4 hours on me
- Jungle Red: A bright medium red with neutral undertone. It has more white in it than other red lipsticks I own. Jungle Red has a semi-matte finish, which is my favourite, and it lasted more than 4 hours before fading out
- Fire Down Below: A warm, red-brown with a satin finish. It wasn’t as drying as other dark red lipsticks, and lasted over 5 hours with no discomforts.
Each lipstick weighs 0.05 oz, and costs US$9.00 where as the regular NARS lipstick weighs 0.12 oz and retails for US$27.00 so the kit has a total value of US$56.25
I love all the formulas in this set; they are very comfortable as I love these kind of traditional lipsticks over liquids. Because of the size they’re very easy to travel with and can fit any small jeans pocket too. They come in the signature jet black rubbery NARS packaging with logo printed on the lid, which may attract dirt quite fast (just use a wet wipe to clean!)
Old or Gold? The colours are beautiful and will surely please you, but it’s not unique enough to grab as soon as you see it on sale (currently on allcosmeticswholesale.com) If you’re a high-end makeup lover you’d enjoy it and it’s definitely gonna end up in my travel makeup bag. But I think this leans slightly towards “Old” because even though the colours are beautiful, I can definitely buy them in similar formulas for a lesser price. I wish at least the packaging was unique, but having said all of these I do love this set for every day use. It’s just not a “Gold” for me…
Hope this review helps you